"Female selkies are said to make excellent wives, but because their
true home is the sea, they will often be seen gazing longingly at the
ocean. If she finds her skin she will immediately return to her true
home, and sometimes to her selkie husband, in the sea.
Sometimes, a selkie maiden is taken as a wife by a human man and she
has several children by him. In these stories, it is one of her children
who discovers her sealskin (often unwitting of its significance) and
she soon returns to the sea. The selkie woman usually avoids seeing her
human husband again but is sometimes shown visiting her children and
playing with them in the waves." Wikipedia
Playing "The Silkie" on the harp. Missed the significance until I heard 3 young women walking on Hawthorne talking as they passed. I realized why I couldn't find the feeling of the song, written by Christina Tourin. Now looking for my skin.
No comments:
Post a Comment