Monday, March 26, 2012

I remember in a math class in college a hundred years ago, a professor saying to a fellow student, "that question was redundant".  I rushed to look it up knowing by his tone that he was thinking that poor student who offered the question we were afraid to ask was not only redundant but "st-pid"and "useless".  I know it is Monday but sometimes I feel like when I offer the quietest part of myself, the most vulnerable, that the message comes back in a similar form.  Something Jung would say about the inferior function.  One carries on to someone who is least likely to understand them.  And that perhaps the one you are trying to explain that you don't understand is someone the other person understands the best.  There must be some equation that explains all of this having to do with triangles and why to stay away from them.

Remembering that, I now remember that I was in advanced Geometry in high school and never really got proofs.  Maybe they teach it differently now.  Logo the language of the turtle, an expression of Seymour Papert, was a welcome help.  How to move with the body like the movement of the turtle on the screen.  Wish more people were excited about it for teaching kids.  It never caught on in our district in part because our coordinator programmed in basic and logo is recursive with loving iterations.

I first met fractals in logo.  Now I understand just enough to tantalize my mind.  I "should have" been a programmer.  I remember control codes.  Now programming is a whole new language but maybe not so much.

I need to go see my mother, I am remembering how much she loves patterns.

Love, April






No comments:

Post a Comment